A Gluten Free Life

Monday, January 30, 2012

Dream Cheesecake


Cheesecake! Yes, everyone has their own version given to them by their great Aunt Suzie on their mother's side twice removed. It's made in a hundred different ways, with a zillion different toppings. This great American classic is featured in every restaurant from here to Timbuktu. Honestly, I have to admit to you, I never liked the stuff. Growing up, it was probably my least favorite dessert. It ranked right up there with pumpkin pie. (Amazing how you grow into your taste buds.) I just could not get over the texture, hence the pumpkin pie. Then I meet my husband! The crazy guy loves cheesecake. Before I became g-free, he even took me to the factory of all cheesecakes!! Ooh la la! Where being a lover of dessert, I had to have something. The cheesecake was so good! Not just a little good, we are talking on a scale of 1 to 10 this was a 13.  I absolutely love, love, love, cheesecake. He ruined me



So, since I now have a love affair with cheesecake, and there are only a million different versions. I made it my mission in life to find the best cheesecake recipe ever. Not just your regular run of the mill recipe, but cheesecake so good it keeps you up at night. Lying in bed, waiting for everyone to go to sleep, so you can sneak in the fridge and steal a bite!! Super yummy cheesecake!! I'm dreaming of you!! Don't say I didn't warn you!

 

I used the Mi-del little gingerbread men, but I think it is actually better with the Kinnikinnick graham cracker crumbles.




You don't even have to grind it up. I also like the flavor better. These guys were fun anyway!




Then I mixed the graham cracker crumbs and the butter (that he didn't eat) together.




Sprayed the bottom of my pan with Pam, and then spread it as best as possible, going up the sides about a ½ inch.




Cream 1-1/2 cups of the sugar with the cream cheese; add flour and salt. I dumped in the egg yolks, nope not one at a time. Then add your sour cream and vanilla; mixing well. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. They won't get stiff. This is the step that makes a difference.  Don't leave this step out! Then mix it together gently, and pour it in the pan.

Bake it in the oven for 1 and ¼ hours at 325. I put a bowl of water under it so that it won't crack. Then turn off the oven and crack the door if you can, and let it sit for 10 minutes. I can't, with little guys running around in the kitchen. So I just let it sit in the oven for 10 minutes.Then run a knife around the edges (oops), and stick it in the fridge over night if possible. I knew I left out a step!

Walla! Yummy, Cheesecake!




Just make sure someone doesn't steal your piece. Little monster!!! Hope you like it! Nicki Dream Cheesecake Ingredients: Crust: ½ cup butter melted 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs Filling: 19 oz. cream cheese 1-1/2 cup + 3 tbsp. sugar 3 tbsp Tapioca flour ½ tsp. salt 6 eggs, separated 1 pint sour cream 1 tsp. vanilla 1 tsp. cream of tartar Directions: (Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.) Cream 1-1/2 cups of the sugar with the cream cheese; add flour and salt. Gradually add egg yolks- one at a time- (I just dumped them) beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff. Fold egg whites into cheese. Pour mixture into the prepared crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumbs (I skipped that step) I don't like crumbs on top of my cheesecake. Really!!! Bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/4 hour, until firm. Turn oven off; open door, but do not remove cake form oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let stand to cool. Refrigerate until serving. Serves 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment